Volunteer with Summer of the Arts
Our 2020 volunteer opportunities are centered around our Free Movie Series. Located this year at the Iowa City Municipal Airport, our movies are utilizing a drive-in style format. Learn more about this year’s changes HERE.
We need 6-8 volunteers each week to check in our attendees and direct cars to parking spots before the movies, and help direct traffic at the end of the night. Volunteers must provide their own masks and any other personal protective equipment they might want to use. Summer of the Arts will provide hand sanitizer and yellow reflective safety vests. Volunteer shifts begin at 7:45PM, with a brief training and will conclude at the end of the night. Volunteers must be 18 years of age at the time of volunteering OR be at least 16 years of age and volunteering with a parent or guardian.
How do I sign up?
RIGHT HERE! Just pick your volunteer shifts, fill out your contact info and you’re all set.
What are the perks of volunteering for Summer of the Arts?
- A one of-a-kind Summer of the Arts Volunteer T-Shirt
- Free Water during all volunteer shifts
- Volunteer Goodie Bag (with a snack & cool things from our sponsors)
- Discount on Festival T-Shirts from the Merchandise Booth
- Community Service Hours Credit
- Being a part of our exciting festivals with fabulous music, art & people!
Who can volunteer for our events?
- Volunteers must be at least 14 years old to sign up without a parent or legal guardian
- Volunteers 10-14 years of age are welcome with a parent, legal guardian or chaperone
- Parent or legal guardian must register volunteers 10-14 years of age
- Volunteers who are First Aid certified are welcome to volunteer at the First Aid Booth
- Volunteers over age 21 are welcome to volunteer in our Beverage Garden
- Volunteers must enjoy having fun, laughing and supporting the arts!
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers at our festivals and events help with various tasks, such as assisting guests with directions & information, working at sales stations such as water, merchandise & beverage garden, helping out with our children’s activities, encouraging attendees to Think, Be, Live GREEN – as part of our Green Team and many more fun areas. For a full list of available volunteer opportunities and descriptions, please refer to the list of festivals here and select the opportunities that interest you.
What should volunteers bring and wear?
- The festivals take place outside rain or shine, so dress accordingly
- Wear comfortable shoes
- Bring a water bottle and fill it up at any of our Hydration Station Water Coolers – volunteers get free refills during their shifts!
- All volunteers must wear our official Volunteer T-shirt during their shifts
- Those volunteering with a group or organization can wear their own nametags or we can design some for you!
- You are encouraged to bring a small bag to keep with you for personal belongings such as: layers of clothing, sunscreen, ID, etc. Please leave all valuables at home.
- You will have the opportunity to purchase Summer of the Arts merchandise as well as food and drink from vendors on-site.
How can I help out before volunteering at Summer of the Arts events/festivals?
Because it takes such an amazing crew to make sure our events run smoothly, please pass along this information to anyone you know who might be interested in helping out. Anyone who is committed to volunteering can sign up here and select the events that interest them. You can also like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram!
I’m volunteering for a class, church, club, courts, etc…how can I prove I was there?
Congrats on choosing the best possible volunteer job to complete those service hours! If you have a form that needs to be completed, simply bring it with you and our on-site volunteer coordinator can sign it for you. If you need a letter directly from us, email email@example.com and we’ll get you what you need.