Free Movie Series History
Wanna know more about what we have shown in previous years? Click on the links below!
Free Movie Series 2020 is taking place July 4 – August 29!
Changes to the 2020 Season
Due to COVID-19 and university closures, our 2020 movies will be held at the Iowa City Municipal Airport as a drive-in movie experience.
Cars MUST register for each film, as space is limited. To register:
- Go to the 2020 movie schedule: https://summerofthearts.org/festival/2020-free-movie-series/
- From there, click on the film title to see more information and access the registration link.
- Register for the film using the link provided. You will register via a Google Form.
Note: registration forms will be available the SUNDAY prior to each movie. For example, the July 11 film registration link will be available on Sunday July 5.
2020 Rules and Regulations
Due to COVID-19, we have modified our rules and regulations:
- All attendees must wear masks when outside of the vehicle; if you do not wear a mask when outside of your car, you may be asked to leave.
- If you sit outside of your vehicle, you must sit in front of your car, in order to maintain at least 6 feet between groups.
- No more than 6 people per vehicle.
- Once parked, turn off your headlights.
- Keep airport property free of trash; dispose of your trash properly.
- No dogs allowed.
- No alcohol.
About the Free Movie Series
Started as a pilot program by M.C. Ginsberg and the James Gang in 2005, the Free Movie Series typically features a full-length movie on the University of Iowa Pentacrest outside of Macbride Hall. Each Saturday moviegoers enjoy a classic or contemporary feature film. Movies start at sundown, and we offer special entertainment prior to some of the feature films. Movies will be shown on a large, inflatable screen which provides a smooth and clear picture for our beautiful outdoor theater.
In Case of Rain…
There will be no rain location offered in 2020, given the changes in location.
Transportation and Parking
Most Iowa City, Coralville, and University of Iowa bus routes come in/through downtown, so there’s always an option. Please note that the festival does impact bus routes, so check their websites for more information. Check out Bongo for GPS-based, real-time trip planning.
There are four parking ramps in downtown Iowa City providing over 3,000 parking spots! Find out more including detailed locations and cost by clicking on one below: